Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Coming Out in the Mainstream

Roll call:


NBA Phoenix Sun's president Rick Welts has come out. The New York Times reports, 
"Mr. Welts explained that he wants to pierce the silence that envelops the subject of homosexuality in men’s team sports. He wants to be a mentor to gay people who harbor doubts about a sports career, whether on the court or in the front office. Most of all, he wants to feel whole, authentic."
CNN news anchor Don Lemon has come out. As reported in the Huffington Post, 
"I think it would be great if everybody could be out,” [Lemon] told the Times. “...I think if I had seen more people like me who are out and proud, it wouldn’t have taken me 45 years to say it, to walk in the truth."
And my friend Seth just shared this ESPN interview with Will Sheridan, a former basketball player at Villanova, who is out and proud.


My hat's off to you Don, Rick and Will, for not being afraid to step into the media spotlight and own who you are.


1 comment:

  1. props to Sheridan especially for coming out to teammates as an active player. it's great for the cause of bringing gays into the mainstream since sports are such a vital part of male normative culture. Former NBA player John Amaechi came out in 2007 (link below) but I remember thinking, well he's far out of the game now, i would have thought he was the man for doing it THEN... I hope others will begin to follow Sheridan's lead.


    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2757105

    ReplyDelete